As a stylist, you will know the importance of aftercare. Your clients have fabulous hair extensions so aftercare is key to keeping them in top condition and helping prolong their life. Our guide offers you some advice that you can share with your clients to help them become more educated and to keep their hair looking great for longer.
There are four key factors when it comes to aftercare that you clients should be made aware of during their first appointment. How and when to wash their hair, the importance of drying their hair, what to do when styling with heat and the essential styling products to ensure their hair stays in tip and top condition.
- Following application, ensure your clients are aware they should not wash their hair extensions for 48 hours to avoid any risk of the adhesive and the bond’s quality.
- Before washing, advise them to detangle their hair. Our recommendation is to use our Miracle Mist and Tangle Tamer Brush.
- Hair should be washed using lukewarm water and our Hair Extension Shampoo in an upright position
- Shampoo should be applied to damp hair and massaged gently and not vigorously.
- Our Hair Extension Conditioner must be applied to the middle to the ends of their hair only.
- When drying, they should use our Extension Towel to gently squeeze out the excess water and pat down.
- Advise them to apply our Hair Oil to their damp hair, avoiding the bonded areas and the roots.
- When using a hairdryer, remind your clients to use a cooler heat setting and use our Brush.
- As you will know, your clients must not leave their hair extensions to dry naturally.
- We recommend using heat no higher than 180 degrees.
- Protect, protect, protect. Remind your clients to always use a heat protection spray. Our Miracle Mist contains heat protection which is perfect when styling.
- Remind your clients to always keep heat and styling products away from any adhesive and bonds.
- Tell your clients that they should use a professional hair extension brush
- For detangling, we advise they apply our Miracle Mist to help detangle their hair further.
- Our Paddle Brush or Tangle Tamer must be used to remove tough knots and tangles. Telling your clients to hold onto the bonded areas at all times when brushing will help to avoid any unnecessary wear and tear.
- We advise they brush their hair thoroughly at least once or twice a day.
- Hair Extensions should not be brushed when wet. If this is a must, they should use our Wave Comb.
- We advise that alterations should not be made to the hair extensions e.g coloring, tinting or being chemically treated.
- If swimming your clients must be made aware to coat their hair thoroughly with a mixture of water and our Hair Extension Conditioner and tie it back. Following they must wash their hair thoroughly afterwards and apply a generous amount of the conditioner.
- We always suggest that your clients put their hair into a plait or a loose ponytail before bed which will help prevent their hair from tangling or matting.
- Remind your clients to regularly separate the bonds of their hair extensions to avoid them matting or tangling together.
- Something your clients may not be aware of if they are new to extensions is that discoloration or fading can (and does) occur when wearing hair extensions. Helping them to understand why it occurs, and how it is fixed is a great way to prevent further questions and concerns down the line. Our blog post from Sun Awareness, has EVERYTHING they need to know.
- We’re sure you’ll have come across one or two clients in the past who have tried to remove their own extensions? Remind clients that hair extensions should only be removed by a trained professional like yourself to avoid damage to your client’s hair and scalp, therefore, we do not recommend self-removal for this reason.
Overall, you as a professional must provide your clients with adequate aftercare advice for them to follow at home. If you have any questions about aftercare, please feel free to contact us and the team will be happy to help.